Over 50 Percent Of US Payment Terminals Will Take 'Chip And PIN' Credit Cards By 2015
Check out key stats regarding EMV® provided by John Heggestuen, Business Intelligence here.
- The number of active EMV terminals will rise from 1.5 million in 2013, to 12.4 million by 2017.
- That means that EMV penetration will increase from 14 percent in 2014 to 87 percent by 2017.
- EMV terminal penetration will grow fastest between 2013 and 2015, rising 43 percentage points from 14% at year-end 2013 to 57 percent over the course of 2015. Large merchants like Home Depot and Target will drive this growth as they make upgrades across all of their stores.
- Between 2015 and 2017, penetration will increase more slowly, growing from 57 percent to 87 percent — 30 percentage points. Growth in penetration will slow as the remaining smaller merchants — who have less resources and therefore are less likely to make frequent terminal upgrades — begin to adopt the standard.
- The number of non-EMV terminals will drop from 9.2 million in 2013 to 1.9 million by 2017.